Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The King and Queen of Haunted Houses

I met Sally many many Harvest Moons ago. It was one of my first shows and I came across her table and about died when I saw her Victorian pieces. She had gorgeous cones made from beautiful fabrics with vintage rhinestone buttons and the most exquisite laces and trims. I fell in love with her vintage tea cups filled with old sewing bits and bobs. Of course I had to have one of those, and a couple of cones...oh and a jewelry box...

~






Yet it is only recently that I acquired the most exquisite piece of all...


Sally spent countless hours working on this piece. It is meant to be matted and framed and as you can imagine...it needs a VERY special frame. I will be on the lookout at Antique stores and flea markets until I find the perfect one.


Sally creates pieces like this all based on color. I told her I wanted soft colors. She layers the fabric and sews a random stitchery pattern thru the layers to hold it all together. She then digs into her amazing stash of vintage buttons, trims, and ribbons (let me tell you...it is an amazing collection...I have seen it with my own eyes) and starts hand sewing all these pieces on. It's a true labor of love. Not all of her pieces have this much "bling". She did this one this sparkley at my request.




So now let me show you what Sally does the rest of the year...




HAUNTED HOUSES !!


Sally and Dan...the dynamic duo...the king and queen of haunted houses they are! Look at these amazing structures. Dan makes each house by hand. Cutting every wall, every stair to every staircase, doors that open and close, stained glass windows. He makes the pieces of furniture inside the houses. From leather, he cuts out each shingle on the roof and painstakingly applies them to complete the roof.


He installs the lights that light up the inside and outside of the houses. Once he is done building...Sally starts decorating. Pumpkins, skeletons, wicked witches...you name it these houses have it somewhere on them.















Yes...he made the coffin too!






And here is Bonnie and Clyde!!! If you would like to see their work, it is now showing at the Lazy K House at Orchard Nursery in Lafayette, Ca. See my sidebar for the address. If you want to reach Sally and Dan you can email them. Happy Halloween!

14 comments:

Donna O'Brien said...

You told me about them but WOW...I cannot believe the detail and the patience they both must have. These are extraordinary!! And that little coffin...to die for :)
I'd like to go trick or treating to their little houses! I need to see one in person so let's plan a day maybe? Thanks for sharing them with us!
D.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Those Haunted Houses are incredible!!! The deatils are amazing, and I bet they are so cool to see in person!! The special wall hanging you received is just lovely...yes, you will have to find just the perfect frame for it! :)

Jessi Nagy said...

dude those houses rock! love them
jessi nagy
www.scrappyjessi.blogspot.com

Susan Walker said...

Wow!!! Those haunted houses are absolutely wonderful. Sally and her hubby make a wonderful team. I LOVE the beautiful piece she made for you...the close up shows the detail perfectly.

Oh yes...congratulations on making the cover of Art Doll Quarterly...She is Gorgeous!

Mélanie said...

I love sally's creation !! It is gorgeous

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Isn't it wonderful to have such talented friends.Their attention to detail is fabulous!If we took one of Alice's(one pill makes you small) we could shrink down to size to explore even further. With my luck I'd end up like Honey I Shrunk the Kids and there would be some monster inside!!!Thanks for sharing. Susan

Lori said...

i love the piece Sally made for you with the buttons and such, it is just gorgeous! what beautiful meticulous work! i wish you luck in finding the perfect frame! and the haunted houses are wonderful...thanks for introducing us to this very talented duo!

Anonymous said...

Sally and Dan are one talented couple! What amazing haunted houses.
Too the button and beaded work is STUNNING!

I noticed that you have your work in the store Old World Charm. Did it move from Arroyo Grande to San Luis?

Lana Manis said...

Oh Colleen, they do such wonderful work! I'll have to say though, that special piece made for you is my very favorite ~ just my colors!

Anonymous said...

Oh My goodnesssss! Oh MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, just too much wonderfulness! I love those houses! What a talented couple! Between your work and what you share. I think I myself have died and gone to heaven... BLISS!!! ;) Vanessa

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you this summer while at the coast, I was in a art shop and saw your dolls in somerset magazine. They are incredible! I am a dollmaker too. But, you have such a incredible since of style and I absolutely love it. I had to buy your new magazine the other day too. I'll be watching to see what you dream up next. Can't wait.......

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

The haunted house is so great! How long did it take to make? do you know?

Anonymous said...

OH MY!
That button piece is absolutely BREATH-TAKING! Seriously the most amazing piece of eye-candy i've seen in aeons! WOWZA! You are a lucky-ducky!

Sally Townsend said...

What a delicious blog, I LOVE haunted houses, Merry christmas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...