Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mad Hungry

A new cookbook by Lucinda Scala Quinn.


Lucinda was formerly the food editor of Martha Stewart Living Television and she is now a co-host of the "Everyday Food" cooking series on PBS. She's also host of "EatDrink" on Martha Stewart Living Radio....and let me tell you...SHE ROCKS.

Today I canceled all of my responsibilities and commitments (I know...bad bad bad) and hopped on the Bart train to San Francisco...with my "oh so ready for an adventure" friend, Iva.

Why?

Because Lucinda was in town.

promoting her new book!

Lucinda has written a down-to-earth cookbook full of recipes, techniques, hints and humor about how she feeds her husband and "Mad Hungry" 3 boys. Let me tell you...I can totally relate. My boys are now 16, 13 and 11. The older two are bigger than me with the 11 year old almost as tall and I am. They eat...and eat...and eat. (good thing I like to cook) This cookbook has tremendous tips on how to feed a house full of of growing people...successfully.



It was a gorgeous day in San Francisco...



The Ferry Building (where she did her demo and book signing) was alive with activity...


Sweet little shops with sweet treats....



A fantastic farmers market (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday mornings) surrounded the building. Organic, locally grown seasonal fruits and veggies were in abundance.



And Lucinda was there doing a demonstration on one of the recipes from her book. I'm kinda thinking...this gal is my hero. How she can successfully feed her family is amazing. Now you must understand that feeding 3 growing boys is a bit of a challenge...for example...my middle guy is a soccer player. Serious soccer player. He gets home from practice around 9pm and he's famished. He sits down to eat. I present to him his dinner plate with a bit of this and that from our family dinner earlier. I put the plate in front of him, removed the foil covering and waited for his reaction...thinking he would be so excited because I made one of his favorites. What came out of his mouth but....IS THERE MORE??? He hadn't taken a bite, hadn't smelled it, hadn't even picked up his fork yet.

OK, back to My Hero...



So we sat in the warm sun, watched Lucinda cook and listened to her humor. She really is adorable.

After she was done we stood in line so we could meet The Great Lucinda and get her to sign our books. She was so sweet to sign a little note to my curly haired 11 year old. He gets out her book...often....to decide what I should create for breakfast...and lunch...and dinner.


She also wrote me a sweet note with a heart making me a member of the "3 boys club".

Then we each took a quick snapshot with her....


And headed home...

A funny note...I put the cookbook on the counter...open to the page where she had written the note for my little guy. He walked in from school, stopped, read the note, looked up at me with his freckles and dimply smile and said "What's for dinner?"

To follow Lucinda's book tour, you can read her blog at www.MadHungry.com.

p.s. now I am anxiously awaiting the publication of the hopeful book on how to manage the 12,000 weekly loads of laundry that boys create.

5 comments:

a Bohemian Market said...

Hi Colleen:
What a nice excursion...Love the Ferry Building. Like the Embarcadaro entirely. what a neat book and yes, she does sound down to Earth. I guess boys need more to keep their fires going than girls. I have 3 grown daughters and it was different : )
Nice story
carole

Sharon at American Harvest said...

Hi Colleen,
I raised two HUNGRY boys and it was a lot of cooking. I had ten maybe fifteen minutes from the time they got home from school to find out how their days had been. Without food, they would have gone to their rooms and never shared their thoughts and dreams with me. I thank God for that precious time with them. Keep on cooking!
Sharon

Iva Wilcox said...

I wouldn't have missed it! It WAS a gorgeous day! Okay...so when are we going back?
~ Iva

Nancy Malay said...

It sounds like you and Iva had a great day! How fun!! Great photos of both of you.

I'm going to check out this book - looks wonderful. Our three boys are all off on their own now, but when they were home is was an endless cycle of fixing meals, grocery shopping, fixing meals, grocery shopping....and I loved every minute of it!
Merry Christmas, Colleen!

Nancy

Sam I Am said...

tooooo cute you girls are!! sounds like such a fun time!
Happy New Year Colleen :) :) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...